Friday, August 22, 2008

Free to fly - - -

I heard from Terry today for the first time since he left - and his excitement was contagious. Somehow, knowing how happy he is, how truly called he feels to be where he is at, and knowing that this truly was meant to be, somehow makes it easier to accept that he isn't around Grace anymore. Because - you can't be in two places at once...and Terry has to be in his rightful place as a bishop's assistant.

I just got done watching Shawshank Redemption and couldn't help but smile when Red was talking at the end of the movie, reflecting on how his friend Andy had gotten out - saying -

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live is that much more drab and empty that they're gone.

I guess I just miss my friend."

Terry was a bright spot at Grace - and will be remembered for having been so. He wasn't "locked up" there, but simply on a part of his journey. He has now gone on to a new and amazing part of that journey, and I do rejoice for the joy of the call he has found. We are always going to miss those that have touched our lives - those we have gotten a chance to walk beside and learn from while we shared a part of our journey through life together. Those people never really do leave, because their influence and wisdom live on with us and guide us - and as we continue to follow and watch them as they continue on the new part of their lives, they are able to impart upon us more wisdom, new wisdom that they gain through growing and learning as they continue on their paths.

I look forward to hearing about the new things my friend will see and do as he grows in this new position - and can't wait to keep walking alongside...learning still.

No comments: